25.2.10

Still in Scarborough?


A couple of days ago Myles and Aidan were colouring- I was in the room getting Salome ready and I could hear these two in some pretty intense conversation:

"Should there be three bedrooms or four Myles?"

"Four!"

"Where do you want yours?"

"Right There!"

"OK!"

So I come out to the living room because I am pretty interested to see what these guys are doing and it looks as though they decided to ditch the coloring books yet again and relieve the printer of all its reserves- nothing like fresh white paper!

"What are you doing guys?" I asked.

"We're drawing!" says Aidan.

"What are you guys drawing?" (me again)

"It's a blueprint Mom!--I am making a blueprint for my Dad so he can build this house for us!" (he answered me with a relatively concerned look on his face that totally was saying, why don't you think about my creations before you ask-it's quite obvious-I drew it with a blue marker!)

We live in a mid-sized apartment building on a very busy street in Toronto. We take walks to the park, ride the rocket and scare pigeons in our free time. On any given day you can taste the nations of the world by stepping into the hallway or just sitting in the lobby and watching everybody come and go. (Sorry can't quite explain it in this post.)

I remember meeting an old acquaintance of mine a while back who had recently moved to....I think Whitby--they asked me "Are you still in Scarborough?" and I answered "Yup still in Scarborough!" in a contemplative voice. After that random meeting and inquiry I was a bit disturbed by both question and response. Was I really STILL in Scarborough???????

I felt like someone had pronounced some kind of bad vibed sentence over my life. Depending on the way you look at it-I am one of those arguably ignorant people who have not yet acquired a mortgage and joined the mass exodus from my peer group with young families to the Suburbs or maybe I'm just someone who likes it here and appreciates the rich experiences she had growing up in the city and thinks it's right that her kids experience the same things (to a certain extent!) ;) Derek says it best and says it often "just get in, where you fit in!" and I have to agree--I think this city, for this season is our "in"!

So Aidan back to your blueprint--We're on it big guy!--it just may take a little longer than expected-we're gonna build your place
--in Scarborough.

No comments:

Post a Comment